Monday, July 12, 2010

No more unicorns?

I'm really thankful that David is on this health kick with me.  Last week I packed him a lunch...two turkey sandwiches (he cannot survive on one sandwich, go figure) some baked lays potato chips, a low fat yogurt, aaaaaand a package of Nutty Bars.  Nutty Bars?!? you say?  Yeah...well, I'm just trying to get rid of them and if I'M not going to eat them, and I'm not going to feed them to the bear, they have to go in David's lunch right?  Apparently wrong.  He wound up giving them away, but here's the moral of the story.  When David starts getting healthy, he goes all out.  He doesn't half ass it like me other people, and he actually inspires me to take myself and my defattification process more seriously.

New philosophy on food:  If I wouldn't feed it to the bear, I won't eat it myself.  Period.  Except on holidays.  PERIOD.


So I decided to try to make a healthier spaghetti last night.  Whole wheat pasta and ground turkey, as well as a heart-healthy no sugar whatever spaghetti sauce.  I ground up my turkey and toss in some garlic and spices and it smells wonderful....mix in the sauce while the pasta finishes cooking...throw in a dash of garlic salt and a pinch of sugar because the manufacturer clearly left it out on accident and the sauce tastes great?  I keep telling myself that anyway.  Then put it all on a plate and it was like eating sadness one excruciating bite at a time.  As if I took one of my favorite meals and stripped away all the goodness in the world.  No more kittens, no puppy breath....Grey's Anatomy, bubble baths and unicorns existed no more.  Seriously.  No bueno.  The bear wouldn't hardly touch it!

My bossman tells me I went wrong with just using plain ground turkey breast...shoulda used turkey sausage she says.  So that's been duely noted in my noggin.  We'll try it again.  David did not request leftovers for his lunch.  Shock.

Anyway, all this to say that there's not much to report.  I'm muddling through new recipes to find what we like (and clearly what we don't) but I'm officially another pound down!  7 down, 70 to go!  It sounds like a big number, but having eased in to this transitioned state of mind, I am not intimidated by 70 pounds.  Nope.  Not one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment