Tuesday, July 06, 2010

A Better Version of Me

I know that there is a better version of me locked up inside.  I'm currently tinkering with the lock on the gate that keeps her contained...and have decided that The Cupcake Chronicles are not only going to document my slow and painful trudge down the path to weight loss and improved health, but also be my real sounding board where I can reveal the new and improved me one little tidbit at a time.  But let's talk more about this BVOM shall we?  You game?  I almost picture this BVOM as a completely separate person, shall we call her Beatrice?  (Beatrice is a pet name I've obtained from my ILs, and it just seems easy enough to remember on my end, and really she does embody all that I strive to be.)

Beatrice is a delightful young woman.  She volunteers her time to public service projects, bakes for her neighbors, takes her family for picnics, and would never dream of presenting her husband with slice and bake cookies...no, no, no, Beatrice only makes homemade goodies for her man.  She keeps a neat and orderly home (just short of vacuuming in high heels and pearls), enjoys gardening, photography, and seeks out an adventure in every single day that she is given.  Beatrice wakes up at 6am every day to make time for an exercise regiment, and has time to have breakfast for her boys to boot!  She is not boring, she is not vanilla; no one is want for conversation in her company.  She can strike up a delightful banter with anyone, and is well-read on current events and all the classics.  She never loses her patience with her children or her husband, but when she loses her patience with those outside her circle she has a tongue that will crack a spirit like a whip.  She's pretty much a bad ass.  I heart Beatrice.

But enough about her, and back to just plain ol' "me".  I came across this "Day Zero Project" last week and it has really been an inspiration.  The gist is that you set 101 goals for yourself to achieve within 1000 days. This is exactly the kind of thing that I need!  I always have these tentative and loosely defined (read: generic and totally intangible) list of "things" that I want to do someday or am planning on getting around to.  This website gives me more structure in my quest to get off the bench of my life and get back in the game.  Feel free to take a peek at my list.  For me, it reads very much like a backyard swimming pool--from shallow to deep and everywhere in between, it's all relative.  Obviously, I'm only about a third of the way through my list.  Here's why this site is so great.  It's structured, but the timeline is not too aggressive, nor is it too wide open.  I'm totally diggin it right now.

So, now it's time to fess up.  JG tooooootally did not follow through with her ambitious (albeit foolish) goal to resist temptation in all its forms over the holiday weekend.  But, all in all, I'd give myself a solid C+ for my efforts.  Avoiding second helpings of my meals and being conservative with my sweets landed me with a big +1 on the scale just a few minutes ago.  This +1 is also after lunch, though I don't believe that there is a full pound of food in my belly right now...it's just me trying to say that weight fluctuates throughout the day and this is not my "typical" weigh-in hour.  So meh.

All this to say, Operation Skinny Jeans is still on.  A minor hitch in the road, yes, but we're right back on track.  Aaaaaand go!

No comments:

Post a Comment